Monday, June 23, 2008

Saving the Clear and the Green Stuff

This is especially for those of you who still wash your dishes by hand. I never understood putting dish detergent in the dishwater. Maybe it's just me, hopefully not. I also don't understand letting water run straight down the drain while washing dishes. And for some strange reason unbeknownst to me, the way I wash dishes seems to irritate a few. Maybe because it's different, people in general, don't welcome change.

I put the soap on the rag or sponge, simply because soap in water is very diluted. I start out with only dishes in the sink, making the water do double duty. --A: Since I can stand it, the water's always really hot, thus soaking the dishes sitting in the sink. B: Also because it's hot, I can rinse with only a thin spray of running water. Scrub, rinse, drainer, but once the water gets about halfway up to the top, I change it up a bit. I shut the water off, scrub the dishes and set them on the counter, suds still intact. And when I run out of counter space, I begin rinsing those, and continue this pattern until either the sink gets full or I run out of dishes.

True, this requires a bit of available counter space, or a double sink. You have to wipe the counter down real good to catch all the water, but you'd have to clean the counter anyway. Some may think this way is a waste of time, but really, it's about the same or faster then the way most people I know do it. And with the water running mostly when rinsing dishes, it not only serves it's purpose, but also saves money, and is better for the environment.


Best savings...

No comments:

Custom Search