Sunday, June 22, 2008

New for You

The subject of the day is consignment or by another name, second hand clothing. Some people avoid these types of stores like the black plague, but believe me, it's not half as bad as it sounds. For some, such as myself, it can be just as exciting as buying new clothes. When you take this route, you have every excuse to spend hours and hours in the store, because in effect, you're treasure hunting.

There have been a number of times when I've found clothes with the tags still on them, which as far as I'm concerned, that makes them new. You wouldn't believe how many pieces you can find that people bought, and never even wore. As a matter of fact, I personally know a few. I'm sorry, but you won't find anything like that in my closet. I made a strict rule for myself a long time ago. If I don't love it, I won't buy it, new or used, that also includes clothes for my kids too.

Another rule, wash or dry clean before you wear, even the ones with tags still on them. They stay in the bag until they go into the wash. I'll have say, sometimes the stores smell funny, I'll let you guess why. And others still, please take no offense if you're of the older persuasion, smell like old peoples' houses. But a deal is a deal. There are even a few that have a discounted section, and sell by the pound rather than on racks.

At first, I wondered why that was, but then I thought about it. It benefits both you and the store. These are the new arrivals. So you get first dibs and a cheaper price, while the employees don't have to spend any time sorting and stocking these items. They don't have to tag them, hang them or separate into men's, women's, children's, sizes, colors, seasons or name brand.

And in these sections, when you can find name brand, you get the best deals. If stocked, these clothes can cost about as much as a cheaper similar brand bought new. But in the back, just a fraction. When you go, make sure you have about three hours to spend, because most of your time will be spent moving unwanted items out of the way. It's best to know what you want before going.

Check for holes and stains and try out zippers and buttons. And most important, make sure you know what sizes you're looking for, since many of these places don't have changing rooms. And personally, I wouldn't recommend it anyway. But don't think because something's not new, that people will know, even your most fashion forward friends.

I've been asked many a time, where'd I get this or that, and with a mischievous smile, I can say Salvation Army or the Village Thrift Store, leaving most with a shocked look on their face. Most of my favorite pieces were bought second hand. Lastly, if you think you've found half of a suit or two-piece outfit, keep looking. Sometimes they get separated. I once found a two-piece pin stripped suit that fit perfectly. I did the math, and at most it cost me $2, who knew?


Best savings...

No comments:

Custom Search