Saturday, June 21, 2008

Lights Out

Many don't think about all the extra energy they use, or in many cases waste, along with their hard earned pay. I do. I've recently started using the energy efficient bulbs and all, can't say much about it just yet. But, there is something I have done for a long time, which not only saves, but in effort, only takes a few seconds to do.

When I leave a room, I shut off the lights. Now, I'm not over the top about it. If I know I will be returning to that room within fifteen minutes or less, I leave it on. Or if it's nighttime, there has to be at least one burning if I'm not going to sleep anytime soon. But in all other cases, I shut them off. I've been trying to get the kids to do it too, but with everything else in life, they're a hard sell.

Quite few years back, I had moved into an apartment in either October or November. Thing was, I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, and as I like to put it, I'm allergic to the cold, plus I had an electric stove. So then, I really couldn't tell what or how much I was saving since I rarely left when I didn't have to work. But, ah, then summer came. I was working 40 hours a week and sometimes more. The point is, I always found somewhere to be during the warmer months rather than at home, as many of us do.

When I got that first late spring, early summer bill, I couldn't believe it. Now, the month before, it was kinda on the low side, and in a way, I figured it was just a fluke. Nope, not at all. My first May or June electric bill was no more than $35! While living there, I even had one as low as $19. Of course, shutting off everything else in the house helps too. --That means fans and air conditioning people, not set to low, but completely off.

Yeah, I know, you hate to come in from the summer heat into a hot house, but that's what refrigerated drinks are for. --Besides, going in and out between the two extremes can actually facilitate summer colds. So, just remember, the next time you walk in the door to instant comfort, think about how much money you could have saved while you were working for it!


Best savings...

No comments:

Custom Search