Thursday, May 8, 2008

Go Easy on Yourself

As always, the subject hasn't changed. Now, if you don't have a software program, write it out on paper. My sister and I live together, and she thinks I'm crazy because I re-write out my entire budget almost to obsession, on paper. ( I know, it's wasteful. ) Over and over I rework the numbers, pulling this from here, that from there.

I'm not in any way suggesting I'm a math genius, I only got as far as Algebra II, whatever that's supposed to mean. I love math only up to that point, but in this case, you only need the basics. And if you're like me, making a new one every week or two, is no big deal, as long as no one bothers you. I am what is known as a one-track mind.--

My advise, don't let it stress you out. They are only numbers, and they can't hurt you. I learned long ago, the more tired I am, the more irritated I am, and the more mistakes I will make. So do it when you're not stressed out, and when there are no time restrictions. When you rush, you're more likely to make mistakes or forget things.

And better still, pretend you're doing some else's budget. That way, there is less emotion involved. And before you even put down that first digit, make a list of your bills, but also include ALL the extra things you pay for. --Something a lot of people forget, then wonder, well where did that $20 go? It could be lunch last week and or coffee everyday, those nail appointments every two weeks, anything. So include everything! Leave nothing out or to chance.--

And whenever possible, pay in cash. I know, it can be a hassle, but it makes what you're spending more concrete. As a matter of fact, the stipend I set aside for myself is always in cash, that way, I know I'm not overspending on me personally. --Learned that one the hard way. Sliding that plastic is so easy to manage, until you get the bill.

No comments:

Custom Search